Thursday, March 25, 2010

Movies I *haven't* seen

I'm a movie buff, with my comfort zone being the 1930's through the mid-80's--though I'm not crazy about the 50's and have only recently begun exploring that decade's offering. Therefore, I pride myself on having seen most of the canonical Hollywood works of those years, and many, many lesser films as well (the lesser films being what my other movie blog, Michael's Moviepalace, is all about). The last movie I remember seeing at a theater multiple times was Angel Heart (1987)--OK, yes, I did go back to the cinema to see Titanic and Phantom Menace 2 or 3 times each, for the spectacle of the big screen.

What I've found surprising lately are the movies I haven't seen that one might expect a film buff to have seen. Following is a list of 10 such movies (no particular order); some I've avoided because of genre, some because they just don't appeal to me, and some I want to see but just haven't gotten around to them yet.

1. The Shawshank Redemption: When I taught college English several years back, this was the movie my students couldn't believe I hadn't seen. I like Stephen King, I don't like prison movies, so it's a toss-up. I'll probably see it eventually.

2. Pretty Woman: I don't like Julia Roberts, and the more I heard about this Disneyfied whore story, the more I became opposed to seeing it. I really don't think I'm missing much

3. Shane: I'm not a fan of Westerns, though I have seen a handful of the biggies (like Stagecoach, The Searchers, and The Good The Bad & The Ugly). This one was out of circulation for a while, but now that TCM airs it on occasion, I have no excuse--I guess I need to see this one. Other big Westerns I haven't seen include Red River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Magnificent Seven.

4. Marty: I'm not a fan of kitchen sink realism, unless it's done by the Brits (Look Back in Anger, et al.). This one sounds just dreadful. I tried to watch The Catered Affair, another Ernest Borgnine movie written by Paddy Chayefsky, but gave up in the first half-hour.

5. Rebel Without a Cause: I've heard so much about this one, I feel like I've seen it.

6. An Affair to Remember (and the movie it was based on, Love Affair): I'm not a big fan of romances, especially 50's ones, and again, I feel like I've seen this one--I saw Sleepless in Seattle; doesn't that count for something?

7. Sergeant York: I like Gary Cooper in the 30's, not so much in the 40's. As with Shane, I imagine I'll see this eventually (TCM runs it every month, it seems) but I just can't get excited about it.

8. Ferris Bueller's Day Off: I keep seeing the same 10 minutes of this when I stumble across it on cable--where the principal comes to visit the supposedly sick Bueller at home. I like some other teen comedies of its time (Heathers, Clueless), so I'd probably like it.

9. Most of the Best Picture Oscar winners of the past few years: Million Dollar Baby, Crash, The Departed, Slumdog Millionaire. I just don't care.

10. Jerry Maguire: C'mon, I know the catchphrases ("Show me the money!" "You had me at hello"); isn't that enough?!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

There are definitely some surprises on your list, Mike--most notably _Rebel Without a Cause_! Of course, I've never seen it, either...or most of the others, either. Though I did see _Pretty Woman_ once. And it's the one on your list you should be most *proud* of never having seen, IMHO.