Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Summer of horror, 40 years ago

The summer of 1979 was a summer of horror in Columbus, Ohio: The Amityville Horror, Prophecy, Phantasm and Nightwing were all playing in June and July of 1979. The first ad for Amityville is for a sneak preview (June 22) the week before it opened. I saw it that next week, on opening night at Loews Southland Triplex. It was packed, and they ended up showing it in two auditoriums. We were herded all the way through one packed house, and wound up with practically the last three seats in the second house, in the front row. My neck got sore from looking up, but it did enhance the scariness of the movie. 
 Never saw Nightwing but I think I read the book
Saw Phantasm during this engagement at the Westerville theater. A B-movie marketed like an A-movie. Not bad.
I've never seen this, unless I did and it fell between my memory cracks.
For good measure, here's Star Crash, a sci-fi cheapie that, inexplicably, features Christopher Plummer in a role that probably took him 2 days to shoot.

No comments: