Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bachelor weekend

Don is off visiting his sister in Maine so I'm taking advantage of the alone time; I tell my co-workers (those who will still listen to my flights of fancy) that when Don's gone, I prance about in my underpants, stuff my face with bon-bons, drink cheap American beer, and lie in the living room in a bloated stupor watching movies. Truth be told, I do all that when Don is here! When he's gone, I just do more of it. Yesterday, I whipped up some no-bake cookies made from my mom's recipe (cocoa, sugar, oatmeal, and, despite having my having developed a tiny little peanut allergy, peanut butter--these cookies are so good, it's worth a little wheezing afterwards). I also went out and bought the new Spoon CD (more on that in a few days), got a delicious Orange Passion Iced Tea from Starbucks--I like Starbucks and I love orange flavored things, but I don't really like their current summer Orange offerings except for this tea--and had veggieburgers and kidney bean salad for dinner, chased by a few cookies and a beer.

For the media part of the day, I caught up on the New Yorker (I like to keep a stack of at least 3 weeks, so by "caught up," I mean I finished reading thru the July 2 issue), read a couple chapters in my current books, pranced about in my incredibly comfortable American Apparel underwear (see left, and that is an American Apparel model, not me!) and watched a few Lingos and Chain Reactions and movies. I particularly enjoyed a post-war British mystery called Green for Danger, with Alastair Sim (best known as Scrooge in the 1951 Christmas Carol). A beautiful print from the Criterion Collection of a wonderful little Agatha Christie-like thriller about a murder in a civilian hospital (in a village mansion requistioned by the government). Sim plays the inspector who solves the crime, though he does pull a boner near the end that results in justice not totally being carried out. The movie has a thread of dark humor running through it, and Sim is delightful. I even watched most of it a second time to hear the commentary, which began well, but fell off about halfway through with a little too much repetition of details. Today, the sun is out so I may spend some time out in nature, but not too, too much, since cookies and beers and DVR'd movies call my name.

No comments: