Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"...And I'm sorry you have the devil's curly hair"

Saw The Simpsons Movie this past weekend. I like the Simpsons, but it's one of those shows I watch in reruns, or whenever, not one I've ever really kept up with. Still, when our local Fox station was showing it at 5 and 5:30 every weekday, I caught lots of 'em. The movie was very funny in spots, but it got too carried away with its own plot--Homer adopts a pig, dumps its toxic shit in the lake which makes the lake a environmental catastrophe, leading to the EPA cutting the town off from the rest of the planet with a giant dome, then Homer and his family go to Alaska to start all over again, etc., etc. The shows are too short for plot concerns to overwhelm the humor, but 90 minutes, though short for an average movie, is a little too long for one Simpsons storyline. Still, I chuckled a lot and laughed out loud several times. I'm a sucker for animated bulging-eyeball jokes, Ralph Wiggum, and Homer's bad parenting, and those accounted for many laughs. I also liked Spider Pig and Tom Hanks' cameo and Marge's curse word. The title of this post is the punch line I laughed the most at; it comes near the end, and BTW, be sure to stay through all the credits.

No comments: