Saturday, October 6, 2007

Six degrees: H. P. Lovecraft to Barry Manilow

I was watching a DVD of The Dunwich Horror, a 1970 adaptation of an H. P. Lovecraft story about Unspeakable Blasphemous Ancient Eldritch Gods--you can read my review later this month on my Classic Movie blog. Anyway, the theme music, by Les Baxter, who wrote the scores for scores of American International horror films of the era, is a catchy ditty that kept reminding me of some pop tune of the 70's. I finally recalled that it was the same melody as "The Palace of Versailles," a song on Al Stewart's album Time Passages (one of my all-time favorites of the 70's). On the CD liner notes, it says that the song is based on "The Earle of Salisbury" by William Byrd, a 16th century English composer. So, this may be a tortured "Six Degrees" game, but...

HP Lovecraft wrote "The Dunwich Horror," which was made into a movie featuring a score by Les Baxter, who snitched the theme from William Byrd; the same piece of music was snitched (with appropriate credit) by Al Stewart, who in the 70's was on the same record label as Barry Manilow.

No comments: