Monday, February 25, 2008

Not really about the Oscars

We didn't really the watch the Oscars this year. Two reasons: 1) The ongoing Time Warner Cable problem--this year, the screen wasn't black but it did freeze and pixilate and stutter a lot; 2) Once again, we didn't really care about the Oscars. It's a bit ironic that, as more interesting indie movies have taken over the Oscar field (since mainstream Hollywood studios have largely abandoned movies which are about anything except replicating amusement park rides), the Oscar race has become much less interesting to me. At any rate, we did watch Jon Stewart's monologue which was good, if not great--the Dennis Hopper thing fell flat, and though I appreciated the "Iraq war movie" bit, the audience didn't seem to.

The only major nominees we've seen so far are No Country for Old Men, which I appreciated more than liked, and Michael Clayton, which I liked but which didn't feel "heavy" enough to be an Oscar movie. I was glad that the Coen brothers won for direction, but this movie is not one of their best. I put the Coen's movies into three categories:

1) Great movies, ripe for multiple viewings:
Blood Simple (still my favorite Coen brothers film), Miller's Crossing, Fargo, Raising Arizona.

2) Good movies that I might watch another time or two:
O Brother Where Art Thou, Hudsucker Proxy, The Big Lebowski, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers.

3) What the f*** movies that I might watch a second time but hate myself for doing so:
Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, No Country for Old Men.

I've seen Barton Fink more times than I care to admit (and read several critics' takes on it) and just hate it. I love the idea of Hudsucker and its various references to old movies, but wish it had a stronger script. O Brother and Lebowski are ones I'd like to re-visit every so often, but never quite get around to.

By coincidence, on Oscar weekend, we watched the movie that won Best Picture in 1971 (technically, as Oscar night for '71 movies was on April 10, 1972), The French Connection, one of the few Oscar winners I'd never seen before. The famous car chase scene (Gene Hackman in a car, chasing a elevated subway car) is indeed quite spectacular and Hackman is good, but otherwise it doesn't feel like a Best Picture; it feels like a big-budget version of Shaft. I liked the gritty feel of the film (shot almost entirely on the streets of New York) and seeing a young Roy Scheider (R.I.P.) who I loved in Jaws and All That Jazz. I think I've avoided seeing French Connection because it stole the Oscar that year from two of my favorite movies, Clockwork Orange and The Last Picture Show. I'm glad to have seen it, but I still think the other two movies got robbed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

time warner cable sucks lately,i keep on having constant blips in the picture and sound,it gets annoying after awhile,i dont know why time warner cable hasnt fixed this problem.the problem is probably because time warner cable mimicked most of the lower channels in the higher channels.for instance most channels from ch.20 into ch 200 would be repeated again from ch 202 into the 400s of channel.so with the same channels being mimicked on the higher up channels,then adding more highdef channels seems to me been causing alotta problems with the highdef channels aswell as any other movie channel you watch,because either the video is blurring or blipping causing problems with the picture and sound and it keeps getting worse and worse as time goes on.i thought time warner cable was a good company to be with to have excellent choices on your cable and highspeed broadband.but then again time warner cable isnt digital at all,even the highdef they offer isnt real highdef,its a trade off of highdef.when you see highdef,its 10 times better than what time warner cable is offering.then of course time warner cable digital sound sucks,its most likely all downcoverted and not digital sound at all.because when i watch dvd movies,the picture is 4-5 times better than twc,the digital sound blows away twc sound easily and puts it to shame.but now the dvd players that are now compared to 10yrs ago,the picture and sound has really advanced.so the dvd picture and sound is alot better today than say 8-10yrs ago,and these dvd players by sony and others put twc picture and sound to shame.but now sony had blu-ray highdef dvd players with incredible picture and real true digital highdef sound and dts in hd sound and that hd dts sound really puts time warner cables sound to shame.i dont think time warner cable will ever be as good as sony blu-ray and other companys offer highdef blu-ray players with incredible picture and sound

Roscoe said...

I completely agree about FRENCH CONNECTION, a strangely over-rated film with some fine performances and that really wonderful chase sequence. It does offer a wonderful picture of NYC in the early 70s, the gritty feel is really something in these days of computer-generated slickness. Also, for some reason I couldn't help notice that Friedkin twice puts women pushing baby carriages in danger (once during the big car chase and then again during a shootout), which felt kind of cheap and manipulative to me.