Sunday, April 6, 2008

My favorite Beatles songs that no one else likes, part 2

On to round 2 of, well, what the subject line says, with maybe a little less commentary than in part 1:

3. "Flying," the one and only official Beatles instrumental from their pre-Anthology works, on Magical Mystery Tour. It's almost too short to feel like a full-fledged work (and it actually does have voices in it, albeit singing "la-la-las" rather than lyrics), but it has a distinct melody and atmosphere to it. I wonder if a longer version of it is buried in a vault (or on a bootleg album) somewhere.

4. "I'm So Tired," from the White Album; a song about insomnia, possibly triggered by stress or drugs or unleashed creativity, we don't know, though the singer (John) does note that his mind is set on "you"--just as George Harrison's mind was set on "you" many years later. John's voice is effectively rough-edged, especially when he sings the lines, "You know it's three weeks, I'm goin' insane." It all sounds gloomily real and yet still melodic and entertaining.

5. "Your Mother Should Know," from Magical Mystery Tour; Paul's contributions to the Beatles canon, aside from "Hey Jude," "Helter Skelter," and "Yesterday," often get accused of being too fluffy, too much outdated music-hall pop. Many of them are, but that doesn't automatically make them less worthy of critical consideration. This one is as blatantly old-fashioned as "When I'm 64" but is not as well thought of. Still, it's a charming little ditty with a catchy melody and lush harmonies and a nice minor-key break in the middle.

6. "Good Morning Good Morning"; for me, all of Sgt. Pepper is ecstasy-inducing, but I rarely hear this raucous John Lennon song talked about outside of its Pepper context. It's about the everyday routine of a young working-class guy, but it's full of pent-up frustration, expressed through fuzzy guitars and blaring horns. I used to think the singer had a wife he was cheating on, until I learned that "Meet the Wife" was a British TV show.

The last 5 are all songs from their pre-Rubber Soul days, and all, to my ears, are just as wonderful as any of their early hits, but these tend to get overlooked because they weren't released as singles:

7. "Things We Said Today" from the American album Something New.

8. "Tell Me Why" also from Something New.

9. "Not a Second Time" from Meet the Beatles.

10. "Don't Bother Me," George Harriosn's first Beatles song, from Meet the Beatles.

11. "Misery" from the British album Please Please Me.

I don't have much to say about those songs individually, but I like each one just as much as any of the more well known hits. In fact, "Things" is probably one of my top 5 Beatles songs of all time, perhaps partly because it didn't wear out its welcome through incessant radio airplay.

1 comment:

Craig Clarke said...

I love these two posts on Beatles songs, mostly because they overlap so well with my own tastes. I think "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is really the core of Abbey Road, and I was really impressed with "Free as a Bird" (though I actually prefer "Real Love").

"I'm So Tired" used to be a favorite (not least because of its mention on my favorite Firesign Theater album), but it was replaced with "I'm Only Sleeping" -- which, really, is just the other side of the coin. :-)

And I liked "Good Morning, Good Morning" so much at one time that I had my turntable(!) set on a timer (as if it were an alarm clock) so I could wake up to it. (I also used to play "Good Night" before bed -- I can be rather a literalist.)

So...maybe they aren't my tastes now (I've a much bigger appreciation for George Harrison than I used to, for example), but I can definitely understand your love for them. Thanks.