Saturday, July 26, 2008

So THIS is what they mean by "chick flick"...

I love Abba. I love movie musicals. I love Meryl Streep. I love hunky guys in swimming trunks. So Mamma Mia should have been a drop kick (and BTW, I'm gay, so is that the right sports metaphor?). It wasn't. It was pretty close to being terrible. Of course, I found the stage show close to terrible; what saved it was the sheer ecstasy of hearing Abba music performed live. The movie doesn't even have that "live" pleasure, though the songs are generally performed in a way that is close to the originals.

The plot has a clever premise: a girl who was raised by her single mother invites three men she suspects might be her father to her wedding on a Greek island (where she and her mom run a hotel), hoping to find out which one is the real McCoy. However, more effort went into how to work Abba songs in rather than to the plot machinations, so the narrative is mostly a slow-moving bust. I would have thought that filmmakers with Meryl Streep at their disposal would have tried a little harder to give the film some more substance or wit, but no. So Streep and all the rest of the cast are left like fish flopping around on dry land trying to get a little wet--OK, that's a tortured comparison, but you get it.


Streep sings very well (her "The Winner Takes It All" is quite good, if a little too melodramatic) but seems uncomfortable otherwise, resorting to lots of hand-wringing and facial squirming when she has to cavort or become emotional. It's a cartoon part and she gives a cartoon performance. Slightly better are the three men (Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, and especially Pierce Brosnan) and the two female sidekicks (Julie Walters and the fabulous Christine Baranski, who almost steals the show with a racy "Does Your Mother Know?"). Frankly, the best performance comes from young Amanda Seyfried (pictured above) as the bride in question; she brings some actual emotional heft to her inadequately-plotted predicament. Her fiance, Dominic Cooper (below), is nice eye candy.


My partner and I saw this movie in a relatively full medium-sized theater auditorium and we were 2 out of only 5 males in the room, the others being two middle-aged husbands accompanying their wives and a boy there with his mom or sister, I'm guessing. I'm usually fine with "chick flicks"; I may not often seek out wedding films, but I do generally like romantic comedies. I even liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding well enough, not that I'd want to sit through it a second time. But aside from the Abba music, the appeal of this film escaped me. I wanted to like it, and kind of assumed I'd be singing in the aisles, but instead I was mostly looking at my watch and appreciating the lovely Greek scenery. The direction and cinematography are terrible, almost amateurish, and the choreography only sporadic--too often, people are left just sort of leaping around (like the above-mentioned fish). Thankfully, in the aftermath, I now have Abba songs fresh in my head for a few days and that's a plus in my book.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

If that was a "chick flick," I hereby renounce my "chick" status. Please, Mr. Itchie, don't tar us all with the same brush! ;^)

I saw it (with some trepidation) yesterday myself, with a couple of women friends, and agree with you on all counts.

Without Christine Baranski, whom I'd say DID steal the show (and it *needed* stealing), it would have been utterly dreadful. And especially Pierce Brosnan's singing! Good god! What was *anyone* thinking about that?

Maybe if he'd given some kind of indication that he knew he couldn't sing, and was just hamming it up, it would've been tolerable.

But at one point (I think it was during "The Winner Takes it All"), he started to open his mouth as if he was going to start singing, too, and my friend and I both simultaneously said "No! Not again!" And (spoiler alert) when he sings his proposal to Maryl Streep...what kind of insane or completely tone-deaf woman would say "yes" to that?

Still, it had its campy fun moments (see Christine Baranski, above). The "Dancing Queen" number with everyone jumping around on the dock was fun, too. But I could've just had those two scenes and been happy.

BTW, did Colin Firth's character come out at the end of the movie? That seemed to be implied, but it came out of nowhere. Of course, when you're watching a film where people randomly burst into ABBA tunes, I guess one shouldn't expect a lot in the way of believable character development.

Michael said...

Actually, I wasn't as horrified by Brosnan's singing as many critics and viewers were. I would not have wanted a minute more of his singing in the movie, as he sounded like he was straining uncomfortably every second of the time, but I didn't cringe like I thought I would based on early reviews.

Sadly, I missed the "Dancing Queen" number--you know me and restrooms and nose spray. I'll have to get the disc from the library just to see that bit. Don also said how fun it was.

Yes, Colin Firth's character came out as gay, but indeed very obliquely. It does come out of nowhere--another screenwriting problem--and I could easily imagine a viewer leaving the movie not quite sure what the hell was going with him at the end, dancing with some Greek hottie who, as far as I remember, had neither dialogue nor a name.

Rosemary said...

Personally, *I* would've liked to have developed your other habit of falling asleep for 10 minutes or so in movies at certain points in MM...

Roscoe said...

You are, as usual, way too generous. MAMMA MIA was as total a piece of torture as I've experienced in a LONG time. Were the cast really that desperate for an expenses-paid trip to Greece that they consented to appear in this crap?

Michael said...

Roscoe, I skimmed your review before we saw MM, then went back later, and I agree with you almost completely. I especially like your remark about the "fun-induced panic surrounding Meryl Streep." The New York Times critic thinks that Streep gave a bad performance on purpose, and I quote:

"It is safe to say that Ms. Streep gives the worst performance of her
career — safe to say because it is so clearly what she intends, and she is not an actress capable of failure. There is a degree of fascination in watching an Oscar-winning Yale School of Drama graduate mug and squirm, shimmy and shriek and generally fill every moment with antic, purposeless energy, as if she were hogging the spotlight in an eighth-grade musical."

Roscoe said...

Yeah, I remember that from his review, and he was being overly generous too. Why on earth these people just can't come out and say that Meryl Streep SUCKED for a change is beyond me. Of course, these are the same reviewers who have bent over backwards to avoid saying the same thing about Keanu and Brad for years...