Wednesday, September 17, 2008

These magic moments, part 2

Heck, that was fun and easy, and I can do it on my lunch hour, so I think I'll do some more:

To steal one from "covetednoprizewinner" over at PowerPop, the surprising f-bomb in SteelyDan's "Show Biz Kids"--it still gets me every time

That carousel opening on Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown"

That horn blast opening on Blood Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel"

Joan Baez doing Bob Dylan's voice on her version of "Simple Twist of Fate"

The ridiculous but sublime drum solo in the long version of Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire"

Phil Spector's last great production work on Sonny Charles' "Black Pearl"

The way all five Temptations voices separate and combine in "I Can't Get Next to You"

The swirling chorus (with that sudden stop-start beat in the middle) and the tricky wordiness of the 5th Dimension's "Love's Lines, Angles, and Rhymes"

Mark Knopfler's almost snotty vocal on "And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene / He's got a daytime job, he's doin' all right" in "Sultans of Swing" (thanx, Tom, for jogging my memory)

A few more soon...

No comments: