Tuesday, October 15, 2019

October is horror month

I'm a little late getting started, but it's time to post some horror movie ads from my collection.
A Halloween night triple feature from Akron, OH in 1969. Teenage Psycho is better known as the grade-Z classic "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies" which you may know from Mystery Science Theater 3000. Also Hammer's Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Castle of Evil (1964) with Barbara Steele. 
Black Sunday, another Barbara Steele movie, in Tucson in 1961. A witch is brought back to life to wreck vengeful havoc. This is the movie whose opening freaked me out so much, I had to leave the theater when I first saw it in the mid-60s (I was 9, and it was the iron maiden scene) and I didn't see the whole thing until I was in college.

The Horror of Party Beach, a B-movie which tried to combine the appeal of the monster movies and the Frankie & Annette beach movies. It did not succeed. I owned a photo-comic of this movie in the 60s and didn't see the actual movie until sometime in the 80s. It did not live up to the magazine, but again, it made good fodder for MSR3K. Ad from Dayton, 5/9/64.
 
As I seem to be on a Mystery Science Theater kick, here's The Mole People, on a double bill with Curucu, Beast of the Amzaon, showing in Atlanta in December of 1956. My first experience with Mole People, as with the above Party Beach, was owning a photo-comic book. The movie itself is deadly dull. I'm sure I saw Curucu at some point in the 60s on Chiller Theater; I'm trying to track it down again but it seems to be in hiding.

No comments: