Sunday, February 3, 2019

Teenage Frankenstein

I believe that this double feature was the first time I was allowed to go to the movies by myself. I saw this in Grove City, Ohio, probably in 1964 when I was 7 or 8. and it was Teenage Frankenstein that made the bigger impression for a few reasons: the monster was scarier looking than the werewolf; the black & white film switches to color for the last minute when the creature is electrocuted; Gary Conway was a good-looking, well-built guy whom I would have been familiar with from the TV show Burke's Law. Though I don't recall having any sexual feelings at that age, Conway's appearance in a snug t-shirt (and even shirtless in one brief scene) stuck in my head for years. The movie itself is just OK, and the real star is the adequate but uninspiring villain played the fairly colorless Whit Bissell.

No comments: