Tuesday, January 29, 2019

October forever

I became a fan of Ray Bradbury at the age of 9, first through his short stories, then via the wonderful novel Something Wicked This Way Comes. Aside from The Great Gatsby, this is the novel I've re-read the most over the years. As a young reader, the last half of the book fell down a bit with its speculations on aging and fatherhood, but the first half never lets me down, particularly the first 30 or 40 pages which introduce the main characters. This is a picture of my original copy from 1967. I also own two other paperback editions and a hardcover, but this copy, still holding together, is the one I go back to.

Every year when October rolls around again, and leaves start swirling in the twilight wind, I think of this book. I consider that feeling and those images gifts from Ray Bradbury.

No comments: