Monday, June 3, 2019

First week of June, 1970: Laurel, Hardy, Fields & Cash

Two interesting ads from the first week of June, 1970, in Columbus. The first, at a local art house, was a Laurel and Hardy compilation film along with some W.C. Fields silents. When I was a college student in the mid-70s I assumed that the classic-movie revival started about 1974 when I became aware of it, but from my local newspaper research, I see that oldies were being revived with some regularity as far back as the mid-60s, probably coinciding with the Batman/camp craze.

The second, Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music, is a tour documentary shot in the late 60s when he was at his commercial peak. It seems to have become a lost (or at least, ignored) movie. Not sure why it was paired with The Christmas Tree in June, but...

No comments: