Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why I love my iPod: Reason #73

My iPod is on alphabetical play of roughly 2700 songs, so in effect, it's like a shuffle mode in that I really have no idea what's coming next. This morning, on my way into work, I heard "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, a sublime peak moment for 60's bubblegum. Ah, the rising, twinning voices of yearning, confused about the difference between love and friendship, desperate for news of "what she's doo-ooo-ing to-niiii--iiii-iiight...ahh!"

Next came "I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing" by the Pet Shop Boys, a sublime serving of 90's British synthpop. Ah, the joy of the usually cynical and dour Neil Tennant with clouds of happy synthesizers burbling underneath him as he proclaims, "I feel like taking all my clothes off / And dancing to the "Rite of Spring."

Then came "If" by Bread, a sublime slice of 70's vanilla-whitebread soft-rock, a lushly romantic song of non-specific love. Ah, the gentle apocalypse evoked by David Gates; with the stars going out, he and his loved one "will simply fly away."

Finally, "If Anybody Gets Funked Up (It's Gonna Be You)" by George Clinton, a sublime chunk of Parliament/Funkadelic funk. Ah, the growl of Mr. Clinton as he proclaims the funk illegal even as he tells us that some folks are "funkin' all through the night."

I would never have played these four songs together, and you damn sure wouldn't hear them together on any radio station I can think of, even the satellite stations. But my iPod gave me a wonderful little trip through four different musical worlds in the 20 minutes it took to get from home to work. Ah, sweet gadget that makes life (mornings especially) so liveable!

No comments: